Re: CVS Update@xxxxxxxxx: linux

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 05:00:12PM -0400, Dan Malek wrote:
> Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>
> >  It looks as a good idea, although possibly an intermediate directory
> > would be desireable not to clutter arch/mips too much.  E.g:
> >
> >   arch/mips/platforms/platform1/...
> >                      /platform2/...
>
>  From my experience with other architectures, fewer intermediate
> directories are often useful, for example:
>
> 	arch/mips/platforms/board_and_chip_files
>
> allows a maximum amount of code sharing and minimal duplication.
> When you have lots of lower level directories, you often have
> many identical files in them that should be shared, but are not,
> causing support/update challenges.  For example:
>
> 	arch/mips/platforms/mfg_board_common.[ch]
> 	arch/mips/platforms/mfg_board_type1.[ch]
> 	arch/mips/platforms/mfg_board_type2.[ch]

Congradualtions!  You will have roughly about 950 files under that
directory.

Even with good effort to combine files and promote sharing, I think
you will still have quite some.

I think having another directory layer under arch/mips/platforms
shouldn't be too bad, (although I like arch/mips/machines better).

We can use some scheme like Geert was proposing, i.e., named after
boards and chipsets.  Hack, I think even naming after board vendor
is acceptable.

> It would be nice to see the defconfig files in their own directory,
> that would be the single most useful way to eliminate some clutter :-)

I second on this.

Jun