Re: pci graphics card for malta running linux

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 09:31:40PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Maw, 2003-04-08 at 18:55, Earl Mitchell wrote:
> > Does anybody have any good reccs for PCI graphcis cards I can use with
> > Malta board running linux? Some linux device drivers assume x86. If
> > you know some PCI cards that work with linux/mips on malta let me know
> > (especially nVidia or ATI cards). Also any PCI sound cards that work
> > too.
>
> Nvidia and ATI cards require you run the BIOS firmware to boot them.
> XFree86 can do that for the ATI at least. If you just need to ram
> something into a box so you can see what is going up I'd suggest
> getting an old voodoo1/voodoo2 off ebay. They report as multimedia
> devices and the current kernel fb driver can bootstrap them from
> cold on little or big endian systems with no bios support (tested
> on parisc, x86 etc)

When I played with voodoo cards, I needed a different voodoo driver
for fb to work.  See http://www.medex.hu/~danthe/tdfx/.

But that patch is very outdated.  Last time when I tried with
recent 2.4 kernels, it was seriously broken.

The old faithful Matrox Millennium cards still work fine.

Steve Longerbeam has made ATI xpert98 working with non-i386 machines.
You can poke him for the patch.

Jun