Re: Au1500 hardware cache coherency

> > Config[OD] is set in setup.c and should not be cleared afterward.

> Due to errata #4, it is cleared whenever macroes like set_c0_config or change_c0_config is
> called. This happens in several places:

>     au1000_restart (probably doesn't matter?)
>     cache parity error exception (doesn't matter, we're probably dying anyway)
>     ld_mmu_mips32 (in c-mips32.c)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll take a look at it, but
I'm leaving this Thursday for two weeks and won't be able to get to it
until after 4/21.

> I'm not quite sure whether ld_mmu_mips32 is called after au1x00 setup, but if it is,
> the bit is cleared, never to be set again. Maybe the c0_config macroes should be changed
> due to errata #4?

I doubt Ralf is going to change common macros to fix a specific bug.

> > Can you send me your test and exact instructions on how you're
> > duplicating the error? I won't have time to look at it until after 4/20
> > though.
> >

> Sure. However, I will first try to make sure that the kernel does not have the same problem on another
> non AU1500 platform.
>
> BTW, are you using the HPT onboard IDE controller? Last time I tried, it wasn't functional, the kernel crashed
> during boot when kudzu was doing some HW probing on the IDE stuff. I'm using a plug-in promise card
> (20268 based).

The Pb1500 HPT370 driver works fine for me, and now the Db1500 HPT371
seems to work as well. However, with the 2.4.20-pre4 kernel, both boards
crash with a kernel panic when doing a very large 'cp -a'. I don't know
at this point what the problem is. The MV 2.4.18 based kernel passes the
same stress tests repeatedly on the Pb1500. So either something got
broken between 2.4.18 and 2.4.20-pre4, or the 2.4.18 kernel is getting
lucky.  The boards are still 'usable' with a 2.4.20-pre4 and a hard disk
cause I can boot with a disk based root fs and run lmbench of the disk.
But it's quite possible that the problem you observed is caused by the
same bug I'm encountering.

I think I have a Promise IDE card at home and I'll run a test with it
when I get back. It would be interesting to see if that driver causes
the same problems.

Pete