Re: Decstation 5000/25 with no TFTP

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Justin Pauley wrote:

> I have a Decstation 5000/25 that I would like to install Linux onto.
> However, because this particular firmware won't allow any TFTP transfers
> over a meg I cannot find a solution. The decstation has ethernet and has
> a floppy drive. I would appreciate any directions someone could give me
> on how to solve the problem of installing Linux on it. Additionally, if

 You can use MOP to boot Linux (and probably any other) ELF images using
mopd running on a Linux server.  I haven't heard of any DECstation model
that would fail this way of booting.  I have made a suitable version of
mopd available at my site, specifically:
'ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/mopd/' (for raw sources + patches) and
'ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.pl/pub/macro/SRPMS/' (for source RPM packages; i386
and mipsel binaries are available nearby, too).

 All you need to do on the server is to put vmlinux in /home/tftpboot/mop
with a suitable name so that it can be seen by the daemon (see mopd(8)).
Then you can boot your DECstation client with "boot 3/mop <arguments>"
(either manually or by setting the REX's "boot" variable).