From: Dominic Sweetman [mailto:dom@algor.co.uk]
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 4:41 AM
To: Dinesh Nagpure
Cc: linux-mips@linux-mips.org
Subject: Re: RM5231A: problems in timer using COUNT/COMPARE register.

Dinesh,

> I am in the process of porting Linux to our FPGA platform using RM5231A
> processor. The COUNT/COMPARE register timer is acting funny with me. When
> set the compare register value to something like 0x0100_0000 or less I get
> timer interrupt as expected but if I set the COMPARE register to a greater
> value timer interrupt never happens. I have verified this using our boot
> loader also and the results are the same. I am waiting for a reply from
PMC
> but would also like to know if there is anyone out there who faced similar
> problems with RM5231A. From data sheets and user manual I know the count
> register is 32 bit but apparently there is some hitch somewhere that I
need
> to discover.

I'd be really surprised if there's a hardware bug; the RM5231A is an
old core and it always seemed to work.  Standard practice is to leave
COUNT free-running, and to get timer interrupts by setting COMPARE
ahead of it; this relies totally on being able to use the whole range
of values, and running seamlessly while COUNT overflows back to zero...

Unless you've already done a really low-level, nothing-else-running
software sanity check on this, it seems more likely that some piece of
software is periodically resetting COUNT, or changing COMPARE, behind
your back.

Dominic Sweetman
MIPS Technologies