Re: mips32_flush_cache routine corrupts CP0_STATUS with gcc-2.96

> > There're two possible optimization:
> > 1. (Requires only the instruction that swaps caches must run uncached)
> >       CPU may skip implementation of double check of cache hit on loads.
> >       Scenario: mtc0 with cache swapping with ensuring next instructions are
> > in cache
> >       (pipelining here!); swap occurs; must check again the instructions are
> > in
> >       the cache because the same cacheline in the data cache may have valid
> > bit set
> >       and CPU will get data instead of code.
>
>  I can't really see a problem here for proper implementations.  The CPU
> may have fetched a few instructions beyond the mtc0 doing a cache swap.

Load from memory into I-cache, setting the valid bit.

> It's OK since we didn't modify the code.  As long as the swap doesn't
> complete, the CPU is using the real I-cache.  Once it's completed, it uses
> the D-cache.  Since the new cache is used in the normal mode of operation,
> now tag matches and line replacements occur here as if it was the real
> I-cache.  No need to do any extra checks at any stage.

Have to check the cacheline at given address again. D-cache may have the
valid bit set for the cacheline at the same address. Address means
location in a cache, not memory. Check at address requires one extra
tick as opposed to checking the bit.

Please, note that CPU isn't a monolitic program, but rather a set of
functional blocks, so "proper implementation" may require additional
signals on wires and delays.

>  It's possible they broke something, simply.

My guess they implemented No. 1. more or less.

Anybody from IDT here with strong willing to broke NDA ? :-)

Regards,
Gleb.