Re: mips32_flush_cache routine corrupts CP0_STATUS with gcc-2.96

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Gleb O. Raiko wrote:

> > But that code belongs in the R30xx specific cache routines, not in the MIPS32 cache
> > routines.
>
> I don't wonder if other IDT CPUs also require this, including those that
> conform MIPS32.

 Well, for r3k it may seem somewhat justified as cache flushing requires
cache isolation.  But the IDT manual for their whole family of processors
claims the D-cache can function as an I-cache (when swapped; doesn't
apply when not, obviously) and cache flushing can run from KSEG0.

 See "IDT MIPS Microprocessor Family Software Reference Manual", chapter 5
"Cache Management", section "Invalidation":

 "To invalidate the cache in the R30xx:
[...]
 The invalidate routine is normally executed with its instructions
cacheable.  This sounds like a lot of trouble; but in fact shouldnt
require any extra steps to run cached. An invalidation routine in uncached
space will run 4-10 times slower."

That's right as the IsC bit only isolates the D-cache (either the real one
or the I-cache, when swapped) and not the I-cache, so no need to waste
cycles running uncached as the I-cache works normally.

> Basically, requirement of uncached run makes hadrware logic much simpler
> and allows  to save silicon a bit.

 Why?  I see no dependency.  What's the problem with interleaving cache
fills and invalidations?