Re: Mips16 toolchain?

Johannes Stezenbach (js@convergence.de) writes:

> Since I'm developing for an embedded target, I wanted to
> check out mips16 code generation for the userspace apps.
> Unfortunately my gcc aborts with an internal error
> on even the simplest test program:

No surprise, really.

> I saw that the algorithmics toolchain (which Dominic Sweetman
> offered to the Linux/MIPS community here a month ago) claims
> to have full support for the mips16 instruction set.

It does.  If you want an 'embedded' toolchain (to generate software to
run standalone or in general without position-independent shared
libraries) then it's a mature product.

We are also developing a compiler from the same source tree, but
configured for Linux.  That was the compiler we'll be looking for
beta-testers for in the next couple of months.

If you want to be able to build MIPS16 applications and then run them
on Linux, this is more challenging.  You have to build everything
static: then it works mostly, and some people at MIPS have built and
run some programs.

It seems likely we'll be doing some development work over the
spring/summer to make this more robust and less painful.

> How about gcc-3.x from CVS?

We believe not.  We'd like to converge our compiler (currently 2.96+
based) back to gcc 3.x so we can get most of our MIPS changes into the
mainstream tree, but it's not going to be easy.

--
Dominic Sweetman
Algorithmics Ltd