Re: Fw: hello

Hi David,

David Christensen writes:

> linux-mips@oss.sgi.com:
>
> Thank you all for your replies.  :-)
>

> Hartvig Ekner <hartvige@mips.com> wrote:
> >> 2.  What is the preferred host OS...
> > We use Linux/x86 for kernel compiles,
>
> Which Linux distribution does MIPS use?  Since I'm going to be working
> on an Atlas board using software from MIPS, I would like to match things
> up exactly.

Internally for development we use H.J's RedHat 7.1/MIPS miniport.
Ready-to-go kernel images and installation instructions (via NFS or
CDROM) for Atlas and Malta boards can be found on ftp.mips.com.

> As an aside, is anybody using a VMware virtual machine for their
> development host?
>
> > and native compile for apps.
>
> OK  that sounds like a safe bet.
>
> >> 3.  What is the preferred toolchain...
> > This is what we use for cross Kernel compiles (toolchain from oss):
> >
> > /home/hartvige> gcc -v
> > Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
> > gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-85)
>
> Hmmm.  That looks like a native i386 compiler.  I'm surprised its not
> something like "mips-elf-gcc".

Sorry - I ran the command in the wrong window :-)

For kernel cross compilation we use the following binary RPM's (LE shown only):

	binutils-mipsel-linux-2.9.5-3
	egcs-mipsel-linux-1.1.2-4

They can be found on:

	ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/crossdev/i386-linux/mipsel-linux/