Re: Compressed images?

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 02:50:43PM -0800, Jun Sun wrote:

> I think I am leaning towards leaving compressed image outside kernel itself.
>
> I don't see any technical reason why it must be inside kernel.
>
> Then it must be the code sharing argument.  However, it seem MIPS boards are
> so much more diversified than x86 machines.  Any sharing, if there are any, is
> limited.  Also there are other way of sharing code than stacking it into
> kernle tree, I suppose.
>
> Another aimless general rant .... :-)
>
> Jun

But this is a good point. Our own compressed/ build requires building
several elf-header-mangling tools just to get our bootstrap (which we
can't change) to even recognize the finished image.

Though, I'm not sure how much the different decompression (misc.c)
routines vary; could there be some way to do this in a
platform-independent way?

Hmm!
Will