Re: ip22 watchdog timer

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  BTW, why do people insist on sending patches as attachments -- it makes
> > commenting them helly twisted, sigh...
>
> How true.  MIME - broken solution for a broken design ;)  More serious,

 Why broken?  It's not broken for what it was invented to, i.e. for
passing unsafe characters via SMTP.  Source patches do not qualify as
containing such.

> MIME makes sense when using a MUA that garbles patches like Netscape or
> certain versions of Pine.

 MIME is not a solution for broken MUAs or MDAs and was not intended as
one, definitely.  Pine got broken quite recently (it eats white space at
line ends; that may be circumvented by using `patch -l' and may actually
be advantageous in not adding white space there if present in the patch;
the drawback is `patch' doesn't eat white space to be removed either) and
there is a patch available (the package I have at my site doesn't have it
applied, though, I admit; the next version should).  The ancient version
I'm using here seems safe as is.