Re: [patch] linux 2.4.17: The second mb() rework (final)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Dominic Sweetman wrote:

> That's only a problem if the CPU permitted reads to overtake buffered
> writes.  [Early R3000 write buffers did that (with an address check to
> avoid the disaster of allowing a read to overtake a write to the same
> location).]

 The R2020 and the R3220 write buffers that are used in older DECstations
seem to provide buffered values themselves if hit by a read.  This way
they are completely safe for ordinary memory references and there is no
need to stall for a write-back completion for memory operations.  At least
this is what DECstation specifications imply -- it seems hard to get to
original docs for the chips these days.

 For I/O resources implying side effects a stall is needed, of course.

 The way the chips work is not that uncommon -- e.g. Intel's i486 does
exactly the same.