Re: cross-mipsel-linux-ld --prefix library path

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:

> OK, so say I leave off --prefix entirely, and the binutils get installed in
> /usr/bin and /usr/mipsel-linux/bin.  Now, I suppose that mipsel-linux-ld
> will look for libs in /usr/mipsel-linux/lib, which is cool.  But, how to I
> convince the cross-built glibc that's where his libraries belong?
>  Just --prefix=/usr/mipsel-linux to glibc's configure?

That should be enough to force glibc to use /usr/mipsel-linux, but I don't
think it's correct to use that as a /configure/ option.  Effectively,
libraries used for cross-building should be identical to the native libraries
in every way[1], only installed in a different place on the system.  You would
never /run/ glibc-based applications against /usr/mipsel-linux on a native
system.

On Debian, I find that dpkg-cross is a very useful utility.  You can pass it
the filename of a package from another architecture, as well as the
architecture it belongs to, and it will reconstruct an Architecture: all
package that places the libraries under /usr/<arch>-linux.  This seems a bit
easier than trying to worry about install directories for glibc at compile
time.

HTH,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer

[1] ok, with the exception of /usr/lib/libc.so, which is not a library at all,
    but rather a GNU linker script.  dpkg-cross also takes care of rewriting
    this script, which I found rather impressive the first time I saw it
    happen.