Re: CONFIG_MIPS_UNCACHED

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Jun Sun wrote:

> I think you just proposed a fix: check current config register when we turn
> off cache.  Thanks. :-)

 Note that many MIPS CPUs do not have the config register that could be
used to turn the cache off.  That's not a problem for the userland as it's
controlled on a page-by-page basis, but the kernel runs unmapped (except
from modules) and user vs kernel memory coherency problems arise.  I have
a patch that makes the kernel run in the KSEG1 space (which is uncached by
default even on processors that have the config register).  It needs a
minor clean-up for exception handlers, though, as they start in KSEG0 with
no possibility to override.  So they should jump to KSEG1 ASAP --
hopefully two icache lines are OK; if cache in non-functional then we are
screwed as using bootstrap exception vectors is not an option, usually.
Cacheability of KSEG0 may be further disabled if possible.

 I'll send the patch soon, when I clean it up.

  Maciej