Re: new comer question

Hi,

thanx for your fast answer ;-))

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 04:47:42PM +0200, julien wrote:
>
> > I'm following this list's discussions since many months, and I
decided
> > to get linux running on my Indy box (R4400, Newport gfx)... To do
so, I
> > followed standard installation instructions and used the hardhat5.1
> > archive located at ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat ...  I
set up
> > the tftp / bootp / nfs root  on a FreeBSD box as we don't have any
Linux
> > here, but this shouldn't be a problem, should it ?
>
> Of course not.  You can use any system as the server.  When you say
> "standard installation instructions" what does that mean exactly?
> More importantly, which kernel did you use and where did it come from?

by "standard installation instructions" I mean I followed instructions
given in the file ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/instructions.
The kernel I'm using is the one included in the archive at
ftp://oss.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/redhat/hardhat-sgi-5.1.tar.gz ... I
know it's a very old one (2.0x ?), but I didn't find any recent compiled
kernel for IP22. Do I need to checkout the current kernel and cross
compile it ?

> > $0 : <some hexdump>                        <-- do you need these
dumps

> It depends.  If this kernel is a newish 2.4 kernel or current CVS 2.2,
> then yes, the dumps are needed to solve the problem.  If this is an
> old or ancient kernel you might want to send the dumps anyway but most
> people will ignore you.

Can I try a 2.4 kernel without having to compile it myself ? If yes, do
you have any link where I could find it ? If no, I guess I will have to
set up cross compilation stuff...

Thanx very much for your time

http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
Administrator ))------