Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET again (Re: newest kernel

On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 03:04:41PM -0500, Joe deBlaquiere wrote:
> The thing I don't understand is how glibc is going to cleanly decide at
> runtime which code to use. It's relatively easy to do something like
> that in the kernel, but I can't come up with an elegant solution to make
> such a choice at runtime in glibc.

Export the existance of ll/sc via /proc/cpuinfo or whatever.

> Assuming that we're moving forward (as Kevin points out) the percentage
> of systems without ll/sc is going down. While these systems don't have
> much CPU power to spare, we should make the baseline implementation have
> ll/sc emulation. If somebody wants to make a MIPS I optimized glibc,
> then that's fine, but allowing the 'standard' MIPSII glibc to work on
> all systems simplifies life ( mine at least ;) ).

I dont think this is true necessarly - There are still people building
embedded x86 systems based on 386 cores. Look at the vr41xx systems - They
do also lack the ll/sc afaik. This is nowadays the most commonly
used embedded/pda cpu.

Flo