Re: MIPS_ATOMIC_SET again (Re: newest kernel

Joe deBlaquiere wrote:

> I would vote for option #4 - make sure the ll/sc emulation stuff works
> and use ll/sc in glibc instead of sysmips. Beyond the pthreads mutex
> stuff in glibc I have yet to come across usage of sysmips. Of course you
> still need sys_sysmips to function correctly (in case somebody did a
> silly thing like call sysmips directly just for the fun of it), so I
> like like Florian's solution.

> Adding a parameter is a silly thing to do,
> and we don't need to be adding functionality to sys_sysmips through
> NEW_MO_BETTER_AS_SEEN_ON_TV_ATOMIC_SET or what have you...

I disagree with the ll/sc emulation approach.

. ll/sc is difficult to emulate  (as anybody who has tried will know)

. ll/sc takes a much bigger performance hit.   It takes at least two syscalls
to complete a sequence of ll/sc instructions.  In addition, since each system
call takes so much time, it increases the likelihood for the failure of sc
instruction, which again decreases the performance.

. Although not a strange argument, but sysmips() implementation in pthread
provides MIPS I comptability which can be important for, for example, a
desktop distribution.

> Adding a parameter is a silly thing to do,
> and we don't need to be adding functionality to sys_sysmips through
> NEW_MO_BETTER_AS_SEEN_ON_TV_ATOMIC_SET or what have you...

Please forgive my silliness again - can you illustrate why this idea sound so
silly to you?

Jun