Re: machine types for MIPS in ELF file

Jun Sun wrote:

> The e_machine field in ELF file standard defines two values for MIPS:
>
> 8       - MIPS RS3000 BE
> 10      - MIPS RS4000 BE
>
> Naturally the question is: what about LE binaries?  And what about other
> CPUs?  Is there any effort to clean up this thing?
>
> All the tools that I know of are using 8, pretty much for all CPUs and both
> endians.  No real harm has been observed, but it causes some anonying "invalid
> byte order" complains if you do "file" on a MIPS LE binary.  Of course, it
> will also invariably reports "R3000" cpu as well.

This has bothered me as well. I would like to see a few machines added
at least something like R5000, R8000, R10000 along with the proper ISA
value being stored in the e_flags field. I would be more than happy to
help make the changes as it is something that IMHO needs to be fixed.

As far as the latest ABI specs go, here are 2 different links for the
same documents. Ralf and I went digging for these a few weeks back.

    http://www.sco.com/partners/developer/devspecs/
    http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspecs/

-Steve

--