serial console, have linefeed but no command prompt

I am trying to bring up a mips based board using the
serial console outputing to a serial terminal.
Everything seems to boot OK, I see the various printk
messages of the kernel booting right up until the
execve calls in init/main.c init().
After this point the board stops printing to the
serial console, but if I hit return at the terminals
keyboard, the terminal's cursor moves down one line.
But I still have no command prompt.

Up until now I have been successfully booting the
board with the 2.2.13 kernel using nfs as the file
system. The problem kernel is my attempt at porting
2.4.0 test 9 to the same board, using the same nfs.

I suspect I have a setup problem with the serial
configuration in the kernel ( not the filesystem since
2.2.13 is OK ), maybe it's not selecting the right
terminal or not directing output correctly ? But I am
not sure how to fix it and would appreciate any help,
references to texts that would help me.

Wayne