Re: usermode gdb / remote gdb

Michael Shmulevich wrote:

> Ian Soanes wrote:
>
> > The (host side) gdb I've been using was configured with ./configure
> > --target=mipsel-linux-elf (my target is an IDT MIPS 79S334 evaluation
> > board). I too am using an x86 host. I used a development version of
> > gdb-5.0 (I found the 'official' 5.0 had problems with the
> > add-symbol-file command that I use for kernel module debugging, and more
> > importantly for you... breakpoints didn't work) These problems are gone
> > in the later version.
>
> To start with, mips-linux-elf is not supported by gdbserver either with
> out-of-the-box 5.0:

Hi Michael,

No, I meant configuring the 'cross-debugging' gdb that I use on the x86
host. I think standard 5.0 will support the mipsel-linux-elf target also
(but something later is better). As for gdbserver... yes, you'll be out
of luck... that's why I have to hand build (cross compile) it (pending
getting the config stuff sorted out).

> $ ../../configure --target=mips-linux-elf --host=mips-linux-elf
> *** ./configure.in has no "per-host:" line.
> *** Hmm, looks like this directory has been autoconfiscated.
> *** Running the local configure script.
> checking host system type... mips-linux-elf
> checking target system type... mips-linux-elf
> checking build system type... mips-linux-elf
> checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
> configure: error: *** GDB remote does not support host mips-linux-elf
>
> Can you tell me which sources do you use?

It's actually a tar bundle that we include on one of our CDs. I think
it's a gdb snapshot dating from around August or September last year.
I'll see if I can dig out some more info and let you know. Or you could
try the latest snapshots, I haven't tried them, but they're probably OK.

> > Yesterday I got gdbserver working correctly on my target (over IP or
> > serial). It's a combination of Martin Rivers' mips port and my 'fixes'.
> > At this stage the build is hand cranked and neither of us have put it
> > under the control of the gdb configuration files. However, we (lineo)
> > will now start doing this.
>
> Happy to hear that  you got working GDB. I hope to make one too. For
> this I need to know where to get the MIPS port and your patches.
> Can you send them to me?

Sure, just give me a bit of time to get something together... it's a bit
rough round the edges at the moment :)

> > I hope this helps in some way. Please let me know if there is anything I
> > can help with. It might also be worth contacting Fabrice, as it sounds
> > like he has a working gdb and gdbserver.
>
> These are indeed good news.

Best regards,
Ian