Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> A major problem get the thing in which the configure try to
> begin to build executables and guess on the behaviour of the
> OS to run on. This ends to be a hack and reminds me on
> "pre gnu configure" times where one had to deal
> with hundrets of "config.h" or "os.h" files.

 But autoconf supports it properly.  It doesn't try to make and run an
executable in the case of cross-compiling and also prints a unambiguous
warning in the case no cross-compilation default (usually the worst case
assumption) was provided.

> If you are going to use anything like a package format
> might it be "rpm" or "deb" the dependencies tend to be
> utterly broken as the dependcies are guessed by stuff like
> "ldd" output and friends.

 Well, my rpm binaries find dependencies correctly (go, figure! -- all
binary packages I make available have correct dependencies).  Using ldd
for this purpose is broken, indeed.  What I do is using readelf, if
available, and falling back to objdump, if not (as in the case of old
binutils).  Readelf is better as it's host-independent.  Objdump might not
work if a host is of different "bitness" than a target.  It might even not
work at all if a host is non-ELF.  Ldd is used as well, I admit, but only
for a.out binaries -- I don't know of any other way for finding a.out
shared library dependencies.  It doesn't really matter here, though.

 Check my rpm packages for a patch -- I haven't submitted it yet, because
rpm 3.0 was already obsolete when I created it.  I'll check if it applies
to 4.0 cleanly.  If so, I'll submit it ASAP, otherwise don't hold your
breath.