Re: Dumb Question on Cross-Development

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:22:48AM +0200, Kevin D. Kissell wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.  That no one would
> consider using your Debian cross environment?  That no one

I am not building cross, i am not building the debian cross
toolchain. Just for completeness.

> would consider doing cross-development?   What part of it
> seems to you to be a show-stopper?

A major problem get the thing in which the configure try to
begin to build executables and guess on the behaviour of the
OS to run on. This ends to be a hack and reminds me on
"pre gnu configure" times where one had to deal
with hundrets of "config.h" or "os.h" files.

If you are going to use anything like a package format
might it be "rpm" or "deb" the dependencies tend to be
utterly broken as the dependcies are guessed by stuff like
"ldd" output and friends.

If you have a 90Meg source tarball and build a 4Meg Ramdisk
for a Nino out of it. Fine.

Flo