Re: Embedded MIPS/Linux Needs

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:01:52PM -0600, Joe deBlaquiere wrote:
> Just some unsorted random ideas:
>
> 1. Would it be possible to lump some of the different MIPS variants
> together more closely? In my dream world I could build one kernel that
> would boot on every mips architecture. This way the work can be more
> general. As it stands now, if you want Tx39 or Vr41 variants you're
> working out of a different tree. With the number of SoC core products
> coming out at present, this predicament is only likely to get more
> serious. I know at one point in time you could boot a single ARM kernel on
> several different systems and it would adapt it's processor specifics at
> runtime. Such a design might help to bring the MIPS world together a bit.

There is at least a problem with endianess - I dont think there can be
a little and big endian kernel coexist in the same object or at least
not with major rework.

Why would you suggest having vr41 and TX39 in a seperat tree ? I had a
look in the linux-vr tree and i dont like some of their #ifdef spaghetti
stuff so i am currently working on TX39 stuff on top of the oss tree
which could be made cleanly. (Dont integrate all TX39 archs into one
subarch *grrr*)

Flo