Re: Embedded MIPS/Linux Needs

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:01:52PM -0600, Joe deBlaquiere wrote:

> 1. Would it be possible to lump some of the different MIPS variants
> together more closely? In my dream world I could build one kernel
> that would boot on every mips architecture. This way the work can be
> more general. As it stands now, if you want Tx39 or Vr41 variants
> you're working out of a different tree. With the number of SoC core
> products coming out at present, this predicament is only likely to
> get more serious. I know at one point in time you could boot a
> single ARM kernel on several different systems and it would adapt
> it's processor specifics at runtime. Such a design might help to
> bring the MIPS world together a bit.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through writing a patch that will bring
boot-time machine detection and parameters to mips - this is similar
to a scheme that was suggested some time ago by Jun and is also based
on a short discussion I had with Ralf about cleaning up proc.c.

This is only the first step, though, as there are a lot of ifdefs in
headers and such.  I will release this patch for review sometime in
the next week.

--
Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@foobazco.org> http://foobazco.org/~wesolows
------(( Project Foobazco Coordinator and Network Administrator ))------