Compiling Ming with GIF support

Hello,

I am currently trying to compile Ming, but when running configure it always
warns me that the GIF library is disabled.

Note that I am installing all of this in my home directory (shared server), and
giflib is only installed there instead of the default lib folder. How do I tell
the configure script where to look for giflib? Is there an environment variable
or a command-line option?

Thank you!

Regards,
-Christoph Burschka