Re: Color mode in mhonarc?

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 02:19:09PM -0500, Earl Hood wrote:
> On July 15, 2005 at 11:28, saf wrote:
>
> > I have a new question (I know I have so many questions!):
> > Is it possible to activate a kind of filter to show a different display
> > mode
> > for some different content?
>
> You'll need to create a custom MIMEFILTERS filter for this.

I know I'm not on the right mailing list for this question,
but is it possible in mharc to specifiy mimefilters individually for specific mailing lists?
I could for example add syntax highlighting for all Perl, Python and other language mailing lists.

> Having a general purpose one would be too complex and riddled with
> false positives.

I think also, you are right.

> I think the idea is nice, but such capabilities would have more
> success on a per-list/archive basis.  For example, if the list
> is known to be about Perl, with code examples being common, you
> can register the "perl" filter for that archive, and that archive
> alone.
>
> (With Perl, you can just tell everyone to post messages in POD, and
>  then just use a POD filter :-)

LOL!
I think the people will never be so disciplined to do that! :-)

> Another example is when another user recently posted about
> auto-detecting python code.  However, python examples can conflict
> with quoted-text rendering.  Therefore, something that would
> highlight python code should only be applied to archives where
> python code is common.

Yes it's a little complex, but could be possible, the question is,
can we tolerate some syntax highlighting errors? I think yes,
emacs has also some times some problems with syntax highlighting.

> Side Comment: Now, if such code was tagged with its own media-type,
> then something more general can be done.  I.e.  Messages are
> authored using a multipart type, intermixing text/plain with
> the code snippets.  For example:
>
>   Subject: Perl code example
>
>   --XXX
>
>   Check out the following code snippet:
>
>   --XXX
>
>   if ($x) {
>     print "HELLO\n";
>   } else {
>     print "GOODBYE\n";
>   }
>
>   --XXX
>
>   Blah blah blah.
>
>   --XXX--

This is a good idea, but I think the people are too lazy to post messages in this format!

> Of course, do not hold your breath for people actually doing this.
> Most popular MUAs do not allow building such constructs easily,
> if not at all.  It seems common practice nowadays for multipart
> messages to be only for attachments versus a sequence of differing
> (inline) media-types.

I will see what I could do with the mimefilters!

--
Best regards,
saf