Re: Non-procmail method of filtering email and bypassing /var/mail/<user> storage?

On January 9, 2004 at 08:05, Harvey Tokunaga wrote:

> My questions are:
> 1.  How do I sort emails titled "Subject 1" to archive 1 and "Subject 2" to
> archive 2?  I don't have access to procmail at this time.
> 2.  How do I avoid sending emails to /var/mail/<user> and, instead, process
> them directly into MHonArc?  It seems that using a .forward file still keeps
> copy in my Unix mbox.  I know there are methods to remove mbox entries after
> the fact but can I bypass it completely?

Use Perl.

It does require that you can code in Perl, but you can do all
the filtering with a Perl script.

Your Perl script can read the message data and use pattern matches
to determine the destination archive.  NOTE: You should cache
the message data you read since you will need to pipe it to mhonarc.

Once you know the destination archive, call mhonarc with the
desired arguments and pipe the message to it.

--ewh

P.S.  If you can compile programs on your system, you could always
install procmail yourself into a local directory.