Re: Spam due to MHonArc list archives?

On January 1, 2004 at 14:07, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> >> I have just deserted my main email address because of the volume
> >> of spam that is being sent to it.
> >
> > I have no plans of deserting my main mail address, and I receive
> > over 300 spam messages a day.
>
> How do you stand it?? I had about one tenth of that, and still found
> it worth the inconvenience of changing address.

Years of dealing with email.  I can quickly scan messages and tell
which are crap and which are not.  Also, my main address routes through
Yahoo, which has spam filtering.  I am able to delete spam messages
(even ones Yahoo misses) before ever downloading to my local box.
This way I avoid network load problems.

BTW, It is important that people put meaningful subjects to their
messages.

The only real annoyance was the Swen virus because each message
was 150K and my mailbox got flooded, causing me to exceed quota.
I ended up writing a Perl script to delete the messages periodically.
It is still catching Swen messages to this day.  Apparently, there
are still people who have my address in their address list and
have failed to realize they are infected.

The mhonarc.org lists are hooked to SpamAssasin, so along with being
closed to subscribers, it takes some doing for spam messages to make
their way to the lists.

--ewh