Re: Poll: Should mhonarc.org mail archives hide mail addresses

Nobody would be happier than me if there was a practicable way to make the spammers go away. Since there isn't, avoiding public display of email addresses is to me the most natural way to prevent the harassment. An open communication can still - and should - be facilitated. Personally I have started to publish links to contact forms, which is almost as convenient as mailto-links.

As regards the mhonarc.org archives, I advocate that the addresses are hidden or, if possible, effectively obfuscated.

So, why can't people who don't like spam just post from bogus addresses? Well, they can. But personally I strongly dislike all arrangements where you need to actively opt out in order to not being targeted with bulk emails. To me, the principally right route is to _encourage_ people to make themselves contactable, rather than feeding the spammers databases with their addresses by default.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson