Re: Request for more options in resurce file

----- Original Message -----
From: "Earl Hood" <earl@earlhood.com>
To: <mhonarc-users@mhonarc.org>
Sent: Monday, December 09, 2002 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: Request for more options in resurce file

> The next release will give you something somewhat related to what
> you are stating: the DBFILE will support an absolute pathname, allowing
> you to place an archive's DBFILE outside of the web-accessible area.
> (btw, you may want to see
> <http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/faq/security.html>)

Great - i'am looking forward to that release

> Now I see what you are getting at.
>
> An initial issue is how to deal with LOCKFILE.  Is LOCKFILE relative
> to where DBFILE is, or is it relative to where OUTDIR is?  For example,
> take the case where someone decides to put all db files in one directory:
>
>   /path/to/dbfiles/
>     .list1.db
>     .list2.db
>     .list2.db
>
> and does (use bash shell syntax),
>
>   for i in .*.db; do; mhonarc -add -dbfile $i done
>
> This case would imply that LOCKFILE shold be relative to OUTDIR
> to avoid it bottlenecking processing of multiple archives in parallel.
> For example:
>
>   for i in .*.db; do; mhonarc -add -dbfile $i & done

Well LOCKFILE name = [DBFILE name ].lockfile - or just  lockfile in OUTDIR
( HTML files ) , it would break any setup to use the same OUTDIR for 2 or
more lists that runs in parallel.

> > That was not the question -  IF i use mhonarc -rmm  1-3 , the old
messages
> > 1-3 don't popup at a new scan
> > Is the removed messageID not stored in some way by mhonarc ?
>
> It is not stored anywhere, but it would be nice if it did.
> A limitation is if you do an archive rebuild since the deleted id info
> will be lost, and if the undesired raw mail has not been removed also,
> they will reappear after a rebuild.

Strange - it works :-)
I need to extract the messageID from the mailbox arkive - extract the
messageID (that's easy) from out dir - compare the 2 lists to get the
removed messageID's.

> A solution is to store in deleted message ids in a separate file and
> not use DBFILE.  Hence, on a rebuild, the file can still be read
> to determine which messages should be skipped.

That will be the solution for me - It sound like a bullet proff thing to do
..

Birger Mortenen