Re: getting text of message as resource variable

> On May 1, 2002 at 15:55, Greg Matheson wrote:
>
> > I guess I could parse the email messages myself and pass the
> > bodies in as environmental variables to MHonArc. This solution
> > still would have the problem of deciding which email message
> > corresponded with which MHonArc file name.
>
> Search the mailing list archives.  A while back someone asked about
> including some messag body text in index pages.  Since the user could
> pre-process the mail before it was passed to MHonArc, I recommended
> leveraging the annotation feature to get the desired effect.
> I.e. Pre-create an annotation for each message including the first
> few lines of a message and then use the $NOTE$ resource variable to
> include it in the index.
>
> --ewh

I found that article, but hadn't seen the value.  Thanks for pointing it
out.

I am actually hoping to put the whole email inline, so I guess that I can
look at pre-parsing, or perhaps it would be worth looking at adding the
parsing into the main code and generating a similar variable containing the
whole message body?  Do you think that this will be difficult to add?

Where would I find the $NOTE$ variable being assigned to in the code?  (If
asking this is lazy then please don't reply, I haven't got the code with me
at the moment so I haven't tried to look for it myself)

Also a quick structural question that I can't quite work out.  If I have a
complete maildir of mail, and I process this once.  How much "processing
power" and "IO" will be required to re-run the index page generation again,
assuming that no new mail arrives into the Maildir location?  Will it be a
quite lightweight operation the second time (it appears to be) or is the
whole thing recreated?

Thanks for your help Earl - apologies for the rather basic questions.

Great tool!

Ed