JIS subject lines get mangled

I inherited a Linux box that runs majordomo and mhonarc, and I'm rebuilding
it with Mailman and mhonarc. The mailing list messages are archived as
individual files. They're all Japanese, and most, but not all, have the
subject in mime and the body in jis.

I can create a new archive by doing this:

mhonarc -add /path/to/messages/*

...but the few messages with the subject line in JIS instead of MIME are
garbled. What's the trick to fix it? For the life of me I can't think of a
way to add 'nkf -m -e' to the command above.

On the bright side, now I know about 50 ways to add it that don't work.

Thanks,

Rich