Re: n900 and sd card IO errors

On Thu Sep 26 20:31:17 2013 green <greenfreedom10@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pali Rohár wrote at 2013-09-26 10:44 -0500:
> > >
> > > I went back to an older RiData 16GB card, and it is working fine for
> > > now.   However, I experience filesystem corruption multiple times with
> > > that card in the N810.   Also, the SanDisk 32GB works fine in *other*
> > > readers.   Apparently, SD cards are inherently unreliable.
> >
> > Because opening back cover on n900 automatically disconnect sd card
> > slot (which means that kernel cannot flush buffers back to card),
> > filesystem on sd card is always corrupted.
>
> 1. Are you sure it does not initiate a filesystem umount?

Yes, already looked into kernel code and tried to at least auto remount readonly. But I was not able to patch kernel to do that.

Umount is called *after* cover is opened (by ke-recv).

> 2. I do not open the cover until the unit is *off* anyway.

But clean umount is still needed.

> 3. An ext3/4 filesystem (with a journal!) is not "corrupted" when not
>       cleanly unmounted.

Yes, reason why I'am using ext4. But lot of people have Fat32.

> 4. I have disabled automatic mounting of the SD card via
>       `/etc/default/osso-mmc-blacklist.sh` and run fsck before each mount
>       (with a custom script).

Calling fsck before every mount is also already implemented in cssu-devel. This is reason why we need it.

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx