Re: n900: newbie questions

Sorry this is very delayed response.

"sudo su" works well for me (ctrl+r works)

For wget, fdisk etc, I suggest installing the easy-debian package. It creates a subtree of the filesystem (under /.debian I think) that replicates the filesystem of a Debian installation. It then chroot's a shell inside that filesystem.
Once you're inside the chrooted shell, your shell will behave exactly like a Debian installation, so you'll be able to install all the goodies that you want like mutt, gimp, openoffice, wget, curl, rsync, etc. Basically anything you can apt-get on Debian/Ubuntu you'll be able to apt-get in here. Extremely useful in my opinion (Note: the first easy-debian installation may take a while, since it needs to download an entire Debian filesystem, which is about 2GB).

Hope that helps.

-Khaled