Re: n900: newbie questions

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Dirk <schoappied@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got my N900 a week ago, I like it, Linux inside yeah :)

Welcome to the club. :) Here's the instruction manual to answer more
basic questions:
http://nds1.nokia.com/phones/files/guides/Nokia_N900_UG_en.pdf

> I can do word completion in xterm via tab. But how to do it in apps like
> notes or when I want to edit my email account? The complete word is there in
> blue, but I have no clue about which button to hit...

Page 28 in the manual. :) If you are using the physical keyboard,
press the right-arrow.

If using virtual keyboard, tap on the highlighted (suggested) part of
the word to accept it.

> I have enabled /bin/bash as default shell for user and root. For user I can
> use 'ctr + r' for searching the history of commands, but this isn't working
> when I am root (sudo gainroot).

Try typing "root" or "sudo -i" instead of "sudo gainroot". I always
forget which is which, but hopefully one of them will launch bash
instead of busybox.

> Claws-mail is installed here, but I am searching for a way to sync agenda
> with my Ubuntu desktop somehow (/me don't like Google ...).

Maemo.org wiki contains lots of great info, you'll spend hours there
in the near future. :) Here is the page on how to sync various data
with your N900:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Sync