Re: Help with locked phone

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+maemo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM, Dan Rossi <electroteque@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On 23/08/2011, at 1:44 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
>>
>> I've done the same thing, and I agree about the placement. Luckily I
>> never changed my code away from the default.
>>
>> Just for encouragement: flashing should let you into the phone again.
>> It doesn't reset the code, but once you're back into your device, you
>> can try to recover the lock code using this program:
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37808
>>

>> This tool sounds dangerous is there proper documentation for this ?
>> After the reflash ,trying to change the lock code wont accept the default
>> 12345, it was never changed and I cannot understand why it wont accept the
>> default code ?
>
> If you try the method from post #5 in that thread, it should let you
> crack the password without using the pw resetting program. The more
> user-friendly instructions are here:
> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=524522&postcount=22

I've never set a lock code, and never used it, so I thought I'd try
this... The default lock code 12345 actually appeared in plain text.
Once I reset it (to 12345 again) then it showed up hashed. I installed
John The Ripper from extras-devel, followed the directions from that
TMO post, and it was able to crack the lock code in 3 seconds. So
hopefully you can do the same.