Re: Using phone as modem

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011, Andrew Daviel wrote:

Somewhat off-topic, but I suspect there's the expertise on this list.

For the benefit of any search engines or other curious entities, I solved this. Sort of. Fedora 9 with the Nokia E71 phone "just worked" using the USB cable (which I'd left at home) using Gnome Networkmanager. Over Bluetooth, that was ignored but I could use rfcomm to talk to the modem and then pppd with chat to establish a connection, same as for my old phone with cable. My N810 uses ATD*99***1# but ATD*99# works fine; I guess a cid of 1 is the default.

I didn't manage to get it to work under Windows; the Nokia OVI suite contains a big list of APNs and dial codes for hundreds of cellular networks around the world, including Rogers, but failed to connect for some reason even though it appeared to use the same settings as worked on Linux. I see that they now have a separate APN for "tethering", though the "internet.com" APN still works for my N810 and laptop.

Somewhat documented at http://andrew.daviel.org/nokiaE71-linux.html

I haven't tried talking to the modem directly from the N810; a while ago with my old phone I found I could get signal strength and cell ID from the phone and used that to make a map, basically just for fun.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada