N900: Force charging on USB?

Hi!
I am preparing for a vacation and want to avoid carrying too many
accessories.
So I took my universal USB charger (which is just a USB plug carrying
the +5V) plugged in the Nokia micro-USB cable and connected to the N900.

Well, it does not charge - in contrast to almost any other device.
This is I think also perfectly valid since there is no host at the other
end to negotiate the charging current.

The normal way to proceed now would be to take the power adapter from
the N900 package, connect that to some +5V source and the other end to
the N900.Just that this power adapter has an integrated voltage
regulator which consumes quite some power on its own which I would like
to avoid (since I have a solar-cell battery pack which I would like to
use ;)

So assuming I know what I am doing is there a way to enforce the N900 to
start charging even if there is no host connected? This must work
somehow since the power adapter presumably does not contain a USB host ;)
Some fiddling with /sys/... or DBus would be fine with me...

Hints would be welcome, thanks!

Cheers
  nils

Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48    Fax: +49-271-771091-19
D-57072 Siegen             Mob: +49-176-21024535
http://www.kernelconcepts.de