Re: Getting started with a 770, tips?

2010/2/11 <chombee@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I just got a second-hand Nokia 770. There's quite an overwhelming amount
of information on maemo.org and elsewhere, and much of it probably refers
to the newer tablets, so I thought I'd ask for some pointers on getting
started.

Hi chombee:

How are you doing with your 770? :-)

First of all, how can I find out which firmware and OS version the tablet
is running? And how can I upgrade to the latest versions that will run on
the 770?

I'm still using OS2006, but I think you're already using OS2007...

Are you running your filesystem from flash memory or from MMC?

And second, where should I look for repositories and other places to find
applications for the 770?

The best place for me, without any doubt:

http://www.gronmayer.com/it/

I was really hoping, since the OS is
debian-based, that I could get a terminal emulator and use apt to install
things like mutt, nano, vim, ssh, mplayer, hpodder, etc. There's a lot I
could do with a terminal and access to the debian repos.

Yes, you can :-)

I use ssh, vim, mplayer, rsync, apt... almost every day...

But there's no useful access to the (official) debian repos :-(

The applications that came with it look quite good so far but I really
need a decent email application. The provided one seems nice and simple
but doesn't work. First it would hang for a long time while receiving an
email, soon the application stopped even opening. I managed to install
Claws Mail from maemo.org but that crashes a lot too, as well as hanging
for hours at a time trying to download thousands of emails. A terminal and
mutt might be ideal.

I prefer to use Gmail application for my phone :-P

Here's a list of useful applications that I've installed on my little lovely 770:
(thank you very much to all of them who have made this possible)
  1. abiword
  2. aircrack-ng
  3. apt
  4. bc
  5. build-essential
  6. bzip2
  7. curl
  8. ddclient
  9. deborphan
  10. dosfstools
  11. dpkg
  12. dsniff
  13. e2fsprogs
  14. faad
  15. flac
  16. g++
  17. gcc
  18. gdb
  19. gnumeric
  20. gnuplot
  21. grsync
  22. iptables
  23. kismet
  24. leafpad
  25. less
  26. links
  27. load-applet-run
  28. lsof
  29. macchanger
  30. maemo-periodic
  31. maemo-recorder
  32. maemo-stars
  33. maemopad
  34. maemopadplus (specially useful to me)
  35. make
  36. mc
  37. mplayer
  38. netcat6