Re: Not enough memory

---- Johan Helsingius <julf@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>one of the things that really put me off the Apple stuff is the fanboy religiousness.

I'm far from a Nokia "fan-boy", this being my second Nokia device owned ever.  There are plenty of things I dislike about the N900, and about previous micros/tablets/phones I've owned.  I'm not "defending" Nokia.  I'm simply pointing out WHY things are the way they are, and asking that we not have this massive whine-fest every time an update comes out and people have issues because they've installed devel level software that makes it hard to update.

Again, from my understanding, the flash memory is split up because it's slightly different hardware wise.  The first chunk is a higher class, meaning it has faster access, while the larger chunk is slower.  If that's true, it makes sense that it was partitioned out this way.  (If not, why not re-partition your phone and re-flash?  The tools exist, and it would be a one-time hit.)

Having worked with micro devices for most of the past 20 years, I can tell you the space assigned is PLENTY for what this device is designed to do.  More importantly, had the entire memory block been setup as class 6 or better, it would have likely increased the cost of the device significantly.

>Sorry, as someone who has been involved with first UNIX and then Linux for the last 30 years...

I work in the micro controller field, and have for decades at small and large firms (including Xerox and NorTel).  I won't get into the "who's disc is bigger" argument with you beyond that, but fair to say we're probably both qualified to talk about the issues at hand.

I take no exception to saying it's a poor design choice (IN YOUR OPINION) that they didn't go with a device with full class 6 flash, and charged as much as an iPhone for their device.  But coming from working with devices with 1/100th the amount of memory, I can tell you from where I sit this looks like a trivial issue.

Nokia made a performance/cost trade off which software is working with the best it can.  Claiming that the trade off was a poor choice is perfectly acceptable.  Harping on it every time an update comes out, despite all the warnings, and having obvious solutions and work-arounds being publicly known for months now is whining.