Re: n900 - buy or wait?

On 18 February 2010 20:00, Aldon Hynes <Aldon.Hynes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Val, (et al)
>
>   For years, I had a Motorola Razr V3xx.  It has been a wonderful legacy
> cellphone, and my wife still uses one.  I've watched smartphones come and go
> over the time.  I didn't buy a blackberry.  I didn't buy an iPhone.  I
> didn't by the iPhone 3GS when it came out, but I came close.  Same sort of
> thing was the androids started showing up.
>
>   However, last December, I bought a Nokia N900.  I love it.  I use it as a
> phone, including making Skype calls.  I use it to text and to chat.  I use
> it as my camera and I stream video on it.  The 5 Megapixel camera is great.
> As a hacker, I love getting under the covers and writing code for it as well
> as exploring the OS, hacking and installing strange apps.

For me it's the phone openness that simply rocks: As a user you aren't
locked in in any case, there's no app store as the only choice to
install apps, and if you want to, you get access to nearly everything
on the phone. Some of the features are rather limited, it comes for
example with just two profiles, but I guess that this will be improved
later on. The multimedia features are good, I like the standard media
player, and others are available as well. It plays a large variety of
different formats, and when you want to you can stream your favorite
internet radio station directly to your cars radio using the phones FM
transmitter. :D
I use the camera nearly on a daily basis and love to tag the photos
and upload them to either flickr or facebook in one go. Using the web
browser is great, if you ever used one on a smartphone with a smaller
screen you wouldn't want to look back...

>   For me, it has definately been worth the money.  I can't say if it will
> be worth it to you.  It depends on what you want to get out of the device
> that you're not getting right now from your current devices.  But, as I
> said, for me, it has been well worth $530 (or that range).

Agreed. I paid the $530 willingly, it not only got me a phone, but all
the freedom I could think of. I do hope that MeeGo will work out, and
that Maemo 6 will either be available for this phone without
limitation, or that maemo 6 apps will be at least backwards
compatible.
On the other hand maemo.org is a community that is around for some
time now, so I think that the N900 will be even useful after two years
when other handsets are rendered unusable by its successor. What I've
gathered so far on these lists looks quite promising.

HTH
Christian Walther