Recording on the N900

Anyone doing anything interesting with using the N900 as an audio recording device or doing things to improve audio quality when doing video recordings?

Currently, I'm using Recorder for audio and Qik for streaming video.  However, I'm just using the internal microphone.

I know that Steve Garfield came up with a hack for the N900 which allows the use of a powered external microphone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsgES_2r5c

I'm wondering that works for the N900 or if there is a better way with the N900.  I'm also curious about ways to use non powered microphones, XLR connections etc.

Thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Aldon
http://www.orient-lodge.com/n900