apt vs Application Manager

Hello,
This *might* be stupid question but I can't find an answer anywhere.
On my N900, if I do:

apt-cache search python

I see a list of python packages I can install. However, if I search
for python in the application manager I get no results.
Should the result be the same for both? Why do they differ?

I've made no changes to either sources.list or sources.list.d other
than enabling the maemo.org repository via the app manager.

What am I missing?

Ed.