Status of Non-Network Assisted GPS Mode in n900

I would like to know the status of the bug related to the GPS receiver not
functioning without network assist.  I thought one of the latest two patches
might have fixed it but it hasn't atleast not for me.

To recap.

I go into the Maps program or the gpxview (geocaching) app and turn the GPS
mode on but leave the network mode off.

The unit never syncs, never shows a position, ever!

I want to use the unit as a gps, I want to be able to use it in an emergency
when there is no network available..

I am bummed out that this bug wasn't given the highest priority.

Can anyone shed some light.

Thanks

tim