Re: mystery voicemail after each N900 reboot

I started getting this after installing fMMS.  Maybe the new firmware is partially acknowledging "special" text messages that it's been ignoring before (like MMS messages, and others it didn't know what to do with)?

The message is a reserved character (I think 0x01).  The second value seems to be a combined field, with the first two bits being flags, and the remaining 6 being the count for how many messages are available.  I think the first two bits are flags (mask is 0xC0) that indicate the type and the rest is a counter.  I've seen 0x40 (new message count), and 0x80 (indicating an "urgent" message count).

So ASCII @ = 0x40.  This message is basically telling your phone you have 0 new messages waiting.  Try calling your number and leaving a message.  You should get a new text (or two), with one of them being _A, indicating you have one new message waiting. :)

Now to write some code to make that silently disappear as a text message, but instead show a tray icon indicating voice mail is waiting (and/or playing a message tone).

---- Eric Cooper <ecc@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm using my N900 on AT&T.  I've rebooted twice in the past two days,
and each time a new voicemail alert appears right after startup with
the contact listed as "_@".  Selecting "Call" for that produces "This
contact's application does not support calls".  When I do check my
voicemail, there's no new message.

(I did two things recently that might be related: updated to the new
Maemo 5 system, and activated a Skype account.)

Does anyone know what's causing this?