Re: Google services

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Kevin T. Neely
<ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This might be naive, but since the N900 runs a fully capable mozilla browser
> (i.e. fennec) why does it need a suite of Google applications?

For example the Google Search application on my N95 lets you search by
voice, uses GPS to give you locally-relevant search results (I can
press the green button and say "pizza" to see what's near), the Google
Maps application is fast and simple for the small screen, uses the
GPS, updated Google Latitude (for ppl who are into that), etc.

I don't think the web-based versions let you do this but maybe it
wouldn't be too hard for someone to make a program that submits your
search + GPS to google the same way?

Gmail from native mail client using IMAP is basically too slow to use,
it takes ages to load messages etc. It also doesn't mark messages as
read, so when you view your mail on another device they're all showing
up as new/unread still. Gmail website is not so well designed for the
small screen. Mobile gmail website works fine but it's almost too
small. :)