Re: OS Stability

Marius Vollmer wrote:
> ext Mark <wolfmane@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>

>> What I said was that "I've never _heard_" of Windows Mobile devices
>> being reflashed like Linux devices.
>>

> I would change that to "Maemo" devices.  Linux, the kernel, is certainly
> not to blame for a clogged up user land, and Maemo is so different from
> any other existing GNU-or-not-GNU/Linux distribution that it is solely
> responsible for all its shortcomings.
>
> (In other words, I only ever reinstall my Debian GNU/Linux OSes when the
> hardware get replaced, and I run 'unstable' on everything.)
>
> Unfortunately, Maemo hasn't had a chance yet to gain real long-term
> stability.  The life-cycle of a Maemo version is too short for that, and
> there is no continuity between versions.

Again, I'm guilty of not being clear enough. I was referring to Linux on
handheld devices. Every Linux handheld device that I've been interested
in and followed has *required* periodic re-flashes of the OS, either to
fix growing instability or to flash a new image that increases stability
and/or hardware or software functionality.

As for desktop OSs, I would say Linux is on par with Windows: Windows
may be slightly (but only slightly) less stable, but has much better
hardware support. I haven't had to reinstall Windows (any version) any
more than I've had to reinstall Linux.

...And nobody has answered my question: is it even possible to flash
updated Windows Mobile images to those devices? Is it done routinely as
with Maemo/OpenMoko/etc.?

Mark