Re: N900 battery duration

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, Frantisek Dufka wrote:

> Matan Ziv-Av wrote:
>> Here is some data:
>>
>> http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=361648&postcount=23
>>
>> Abstract: The often repeated claim that a reboot cycle wastes a lot of
>> battery is incorrect.
>>

> Hmm, you proved you can drain battery in 44 reboot cycles in 2 and half
> hours. To me it says reboot wastes a lot of battery :-) You can play video or
> surf the web longer than 2.5 hours. In fact there is not many things that
> could drain battery faster than reboots, is it?

I cannot play video for 2.5 hours on my almost 2 years old N810. I can
hardly read an ebook for this long.

In addition I have dual boot, including 30s delay. During this delay
screen is on maximum brightness, and I don't know which power saving
features are enabled, so without this delay, a few more reboots might
be possible.

> I have posted my findings with one spare N810 to that thread. I got like 30
> days with N810 sitting completely idle. That would roughly mean one reboot is
> 16 hours of standby (with no wi-fi).

This must be very atypical. In similar tests on a new N800 I never even
managed two weeks (in offline mode).

The main reason I suggest turning off when the device is not going to be
used for long periods (such as a night sleep) is the non-slim chance
that something might cause break power saving (metalayer-crawler, router
incompatible with power saving, forgetting to disconnect bluetooth,
etc.) and you wake up to see a dead device.

--
Matan.