Re: N800 etc.

Am Samstag, den 29.08.2009, 18:43 -0300 schrieb Fernando Cassia:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Andre Klapper
> <aklapper@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Hi Fernando,
>         there's Jalimo https://wiki.evolvis.org/jalimo for Java on
>         Maemo, but I
>         don't know how actively it is maintained...
>
>         > On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 1:40 AM, Demetris wrote:
>         > The conspiracy theorist in me would like to think that in
>         one of those
>         > several (some very recent) instances where Nokia got in bed
>         with the
>         > Evil Empire of Redmondia
>

>         This is the point where I realized that I will waste my time
>         by
>         continuing reading your troll posting.
>
> I'm not a troll. Trolls enter mailing lists to discourage use of a
> given product. I like my N800 and I'd buy a N900 if I had the money.
> I want to see Nokia succeed and beat Microsoft's software monoculture
> with Open Source.

So? Its what they are doing.

> I just don't like to see it commit suicide like so many other IT
> companies in the past that think they can win a short-term edge by
> partnering with the IT industry's biggest monopolist. A convicted one,
> repeatedly, on several jurisdictions.

Well, i know MS are assholes. Probably Nokia knows as well. So does
Asus, HP, Dell and a lot of others.
Point is, MS has pretty much a monopoly in some areas. Of course Nokia
has to "cooperate" in some areas, what do you expect?

>         In contrast to you, some companies out there might not have
>         unlimited
>         human and financial resources to officially support every
>         single
>         computer language (like Java) that you currently favor.
>
> It's not only a language: it's a platform.

Thats part of Suns stupid marketing strategy. Its a language and a
plattform. C++ is a language. QT is a platform. Oh hell, according to
the marketing Java is an OS as well.
Well, marketing aside, Java is is pretty good beginners language. The
plattform itself is nice (even if it does not offer support for as many
languages as .net).
Well, might as well get to the point.
Both GTK and QT are plattforms which are just as powerfull as Java.
The need for Java on Maemo is pretty limited.