Re: Nokia netbook

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Gary <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Kevin T. Neely wrote:
> I just recall a good bit of the video's focus was aimed at the
> corporate commuter types (so-called VPN-less connection to corporate
> email being first in my mind), so I thought that was a market segment
> they were going after.
That's just Microsoft ActiveSync and it's no real feat if they're just
using Microsoft clients. They may also be licensing ActiveSync for any
Nokia developed apps but that's just guesswork on my part.

Actually, it's a new MSFT technology called DirectConnect (or DirectAccess or something like that) that is basically a multi-path IPv6 IPSEC tunnel.  I guess they can say "no VPN needed" because it only goes to the corp network when it needs to, but this seems to be really splitting hairs and I think of it as a VPN.

It supports multi-factor authentication (of course, this will kill the seamless nature) so I would bet this will replace the MS PPTP solution.

It requires MS Direct Connect server and something on the client end (just MS Windows, I think) for it to work.  Though, if it is just IPSEC, I guess other clients could connect to it.

PPTP needs to be replaced, so this looks nice.  Seeing as my company has its own VPN solution, I doubt we will be deploying this.

In Vino Veritas
http://rubbernecking.info